The greatest application of engineering found in the technical, production and construction spheres. The prevalence in these areas is largely due to a significant number of emerging narrow-profile issues requiring specialized knowledge and experience for a significant number of technical and organizational solutions.
Engineering is also carried out in other areas of activity, for example: business engineering; Construction engineering; ІТ engineering; Managerial engineering; Legal engineering; etc..
Engineering is carried out in the form of services:
- researching character, the development of technological solutions for individual production technologies, etc.;
- Design construction character;
- calculation and analysis character;
- production character;
- to develop recommendations in the field of management, etc..
In some areas of activity, engineering is not considered as something separate, it is considered as an integral part of a project or business activity. For example in the design of construction projects, placed a project logistics circuit, optimizing the use of machines and mechanisms, optimization or replacement of process units for the production, etc..
Concentrating the company’s efforts on the main process allows the organization to obtain a number of positive advantages, for example:
- The organization of joint work with an external company, includes a number of features. In fact, the work of the enterprise in relation to the transferred processes is transferred to contract work. The contract involves an assessment of the types, volumes and cost of work. Also, the contract allows you to evaluate the work performed in the system: money / time / quality;
- Weakly managed processes become manageable through the “outsourcing” strategy;
- Improves the quality of service processes, through the external company involved;
- Transfer of processes for maintenance is generally cheaper than self-service process;
Outsourcing is a good tool for solving the tasks assigned to the organization, but not “panacea”. Work with an external company and the work itself in the harsh conditions of the contract – it’s not easy. Also do not forget that not all processes should be transferred, sometimes problematic to transfer process and more expensive than serving by yourself.
There are different options (schemes) for transferring the process to the service of an external company, for example:
- transfer of the external company of certain types of work, supervision of the implementation of which is carried out by the Customer’s own personnel;
- transfer of a specialist “for rent”. That is, the external company introduces to the staff of the Customer’s organization its specialist, who performs certain work on the contract. The leased specialist can be subordinated to the Customer directly, as well as carry out the function of recruitment to the Customer’s staff and their training;
- Remote maintenance, for advice or for physical maintenance. For example in the IT sphere, to ensure the operation of the software, etc.;
Goals can be final or intermediate. Achieving the ultimate goal of business, implies the disappearance of meaning in the further implementation of business activities. The intermediate goal implies the opportunity to reorient the business to new goals after it has been achieved or is the stage for achieving a more global or ultimate goal.
The ultimate business goal – can not be thought of unprofitable, it as an integral part must contain or imply an economic benefit for the business. If there is no economic gain, then this is another kind of goal: charitable, self-development, just a goal or the like. target. At the same time, the intermediate business goal, which serves to achieve the ultimate business goal, can be unprofitable, since the attainment of the business does not disappear with its achievement.
In business activities, all types of goals are applied. Goals can be directed to:
- creating new values (products, services, products, etc.);
- developing or improving the efficiency of an existing business;
- economic goals for increasing sales, generating a certain amount of profit, etc.;
- the solution of other tasks facing the business.
A new business goal, can be framed in the form of: a business idea, a project or a program containing a description of the purpose and ways to achieve it.
The content and detail of the business goals can be different. From the point of view of controllability of goals, it can be said that the goal should include a logically minimal content:
- Concreteness and certainty. That is, the meaning of the goal must be understood and equally perceived by all, without exception;
- quantitative measurability. That is, the goal should have a specific main criterion having a quantitative result. It can be money, values or the like;
- attainability and objectivity. Achievability, implies that the goal should be able to be achieved if it is impossible to achieve it, then this is a dream. Objectivity implies that the goal must correspond to forces and means. If the goal does not match, then this is a dream;
- temporal measurability.